Words matter. In fact, they matter a lot more than many people think. Choosing the correct words for social media posts and other marketing copy can mean the difference between securing those all-important conversions or losing them. Content marketing is a crucial part of any internet marketing strategy so getting it right is essential.
Let’s take a look at some of the tips and tricks that can help produce killer content marketing ammunition!
Why Content Marketing Matters
Content marketing encompasses many different forms of communication between a brand and its consumers. Some of these might include:
- Social Media Posts
- Video Content
Every piece of content put out into the world is an opportunity to connect with consumers. That does not necessarily mean making a sale each time, but perhaps, more importantly, building a relationship. The ultimate goal is for your content to move people to take action – that action could be something as simple as hitting the like or share button, or it could be making a purchase. It’s important to consider the goal of each piece of content produced when you are creating it.
Let’s Talk About ProblemsThey say that a problem shared is a problem halved. Too many brands shy away from discussing negative topics when it comes to content marketing. However, it is important to talkers will respond to this type of copy for more favorably than content that is a hard sell. You need to know your target market intimately. What makes them tick? What do they want? What obstacles are they facing? Once you have this information it is easier to outline exactly how your brand is able to satisfy their needs and solve their problems.
Choose Your Words Carefully
Circling back to not being afraid to talk about negative topics and problems, one of the secrets to success is to choose your words wisely. Just because you are discussing a problem, that doesn’t mean you have to use a negative tone. You want to approach it from a place of empathizing with the consumer and then offering a positive solution. Words have incredible power, some more than others.
In fact, in content marketing, you may have heard the term ‘power words’. Power Words are words that are most likely to evoke a response in the reader, encouraging them to take action.
Here are a few examples of common power words:
- YOU: Write directly to the reader. Make the content about them, not yourself or your brand
- BECAUSE: Always give readers a compelling reason to take whichever action you are encouraging.
- FREE: Never underestimate the value or the appeal of offering something for free!
- GUARANTEED: Consumers like feeling like they have nothing to lose and everything to gain!
- DISCOVER: Implying that you have something new and unknown to offer that will give a competitive edge.
- ACT NOW: Every heard of FOMO (Fear of Missing Out)? Limited time offers prompt faster action from consumers.
- PROVEN: Remind consumers that your product or service is back by true results that they will be able to replicate for themselves.
- SECRET: Who doesn’t like feeling like they have been given closely guarded information? Revealing the secret to success is a big motivator for consumers.
Ingrid Gee, Internet Marketing Consultant. Blue Dress® Marketing, an Internet Marketing Company headquartered in Knoxville, TN. Internet Marketing Developed, Implemented and Managed to Full Circle! Organic Internet Search Engine Guru. Turn Key Internet Optimization Programs Placing You Everywhere and Anywhere You Need to Be Online®
To Your Best Online!