Have you ever taken the time to look closely at your Twitter followers? If not, then now may be a good time to start. Twitter has an increasing bot problem, and it could be having a negative impact on your internet marketing strategy. Let’s take a closer look at how poor-quality followers could be having a negative impact on your engagement and reach.
How Do Fake Followers Impact Your Twitter Presence?
It may seem pretty harmless to have these followers, especially if they are not spamming. However, they have no value to your brand, and over time they may start having a detrimental effect on your internet marketing strategy. The reason for this is that they do not engage with your content. The same applies to genuine followers who are dormant (i.e., they never tweet). When a high percentage of your followers are not engaging with your account, you will eventually result in a decrease in reach and engagement. On the other hand, if you have a higher percentage of active followers who are engaging with your content, then you will be rewarded by Twitter with increased reach and engagement.
Red Flags to Look out For
There is a chance that some of your Twitter followers could be bot accounts managed by software designed to follow Twitter accounts based on specific hashtags and keywords. If you are not sure about how genuine your Twitter followers are, then look out for some of these red flags:
- Accounts Who Have Zero Followers
- Accounts Who Have Not Tweeted in the Last 12 Months
- Accounts with no Profile Image, Bio or Description
3 Steps to Take to Fix the Problem
There are some steps you can take to address this issue and get your online marketing strategy back on track.
- Remove Bot Followers – The more followers you have, the more influential your Twitter account is, and the more likely bots will target you. Set aside time on a regular basis to delete any that you find following you. It is almost impossible to locate them all, but you need not worry about a handful slipping through, what you need to avoid is having a more significant percentage of bot followers.
- Remove Dormant Followers – Inactive followers are not necessarily fake accounts, they may just have a new account now or no longer use Twitter. Either way, they have no value to your internet marketing strategy, and it is good practice to remove them. You can do this manually or use one of many tools available to help you clean up your Twitter followers.
- Create Twitter Lists of Active Followers – It is likely that you have a small group of followers who are interacting with you on a regular basis. It is a good idea to engage with them to build a stronger relationship. An easy way to do this is to add your most active followers to a Twitter List.
These are just some of the things you can try to clear up your Twitter followers. Keep in mind this is not something that can single-handedly destroy your internet marketing strategy, but it can have a negative impact, so keeping on top of it can make your life easier.
To Your Best Online!
Ingrid Maddox, Internet Marketing & Strategy Consultant. bluedress INTERNET MARKETING, an Internet Marketing Company headquartered in Knoxville, TN. Internet Marketing Developed, Implemented, and Managed to Full Circle! Organic Internet Search Engine Guru. Turn-Key Internet Optimization Programs Placing You Everywhere and Anywhere You Need to Be Online.