It has been just over a year since the launch of Facebook Live, yet a large number of businesses are still not making use of the live streaming tool as part of their online marketing plan. However, with statistics showing that live video content gets three times as much engagement as traditional videos, it is time more marketers got on board with Facebook Live!
Why Use Facebook Live?
Facebook Live has seen some incredible growth in its first year with millions of Facebook users making use of the tool. One of the reasons that it has become so popular is that it is fun and easy to use. Even if you do not have the skills or equipment required to film and edit footage, you can still take advantage of the engagement attracted by using Facebook Live and sharing raw, unedited footage.
Facebook Live is also an amazing way to communicate with followers in real time, and a growing number of marketers are discovering that it can be an excellent way to build authentic relationships with fans through social media.
How to Broadcast Live Via Facebook
Initially, Facebook Live was only available using a mobile device, but it is now possible for Facebook Pages to transmit live video from either a mobile device or a desktop. Here are the steps for broadcasting live using either type of device
- Go to the news feed in the Facebook app and tap on the ‘Live’ icon that looks like a video camera;
- If it is the first time using Facebook live, grant the app permission to access the device’s microphone and camera;
- Choose the appropriate privacy setting – as a brand; it is likely that ‘public’ is the best option;
- Choose a catchy headline or description that is going to encourage people to watch the video;
- Use the icons to tag friends, set your location or add an activity;
- Set up the view options and add filters and effects if appropriate.
- Hit the ‘Go Live’ button and get started!
- On a business page, tap the ‘write something’ box as if starting a new post;
- Click ‘See All’ to access the entire menu and select ‘start a live video;’
- Write a compelling description for your video;
- Make sure that the view is correct, and if using an external camera, set up the connection between the device and the desktop;
- Click on ‘Go Live’ and begin the broadcast.
3 Tips for Getting the Most Out of Facebook Live
Once you know how to use Facebook live, there are lots of things that you can do to maximize the benefits, making it an essential part of your online marketing plan.
- One key thing to remember is that you must introduce yourself several times. When you first begin, you have zero viewers, so it is likely that only a handful of viewers will see an intro. Make sure that you pause regularly to introduce yourself to new viewers who will join the feed late.
- Something that audiences love about Facebook Live is how spontaneous it is. It’s fine to have a basic plan and even the bare bones of a script, but for the most part, live videos are raw and unrehearsed. That is part of their appeal, so allow viewers to see the real person behind your brand!
- Live video is all about engagement so make sure that you are keeping an eye on comments. Respond to viewers in real time and don’t forget to mention them by name when you answer a question. Followers will get a real thrill out of hearing their name and having their question answered.
These are just some of the many ways that Facebook Live can be part of an online marketing plan. What could you share with your audience to help them relate to your business?
To Your Best Online!
Ingrid Griffin, Internet Marketing Consultant. Blue Dress® Marketing, an Internet Marketing Company headquartered in Knoxville, TN. Internet Marketing Developed, Implemented and Managed to Full Circle! Organic Internet Search Engine Guru. Turn Key Internet Optimization Programs Placing You Everywhere and Anywhere You Need to Be Online®